- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups brewed espresso coffee, cooled
- 13 ounces mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 24 crisp Italian ladyfingers (use Savoiardi cookies if you can find them)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso coffee beans
Combine sugar and 3 to 4 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring just to dissolve sugar; immediately remove from heat.
Place yolks in a large bowl and, whisking, add melted sugar in a slow and steady stream. Whisk until yolks are pale, thick, and cool. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the espresso and the mascarpone.
In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks; gently fold into mascarpone mixture.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together coffee liqueur with the remaining espresso. Dip 1 ladyfinger in coffee liquor mixture, soaking 4 seconds on each side, then place in an 8- by 8-inch baking dish. (For a firmer result, dip for less time or brush each cookie with the mixture.) Repeat to make 1 layer of ladyfingers, trimming as needed to fit snugly.
Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Make a second layer of ladyfingers soaked with the coffee mixture. Top with remaining mascarpone cream, spreading it smoothly. Chill tiramisu, covered, at least 2 hours. Just before serving, place cocoa and ground espresso beans into a fine strainer and shake onto the tiramisu.